cropped-short_post_logo.png
For Authentic Gossip
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors
soundarya
Sadguru
Sarvam
Premlatha
Rahul Gandhi_029
Modi Office
MK TVK
Shamik Sayak
MKStalin_018
ShivSena UBT
kirit letter
Maharashtra Population Explodes, 60,000 New Bangladeshi/Rohingya Births In State
A population explosion occurred in Maharashtra over the last three years, apart from the natural births registered, with over 60,000 citizens mostly Rohingyas and Bangladeshi nationals belonging to the Muslim community, issued birth certificates by the Maharashtra government as Indian citizens. The scam came to light Tuesday (Jan 21) when deputy collector of Akola, Vijay Patil, provided data confirming 15,845 people (mostly in the 30 to 70 years age group) were issued birth certificates in Akola district alone. Another 10,273 applicants on the verge of physical delivery of the certificates were put on hold. “Ninety nine percent of 1,50, 000 applicants, over 60,000 issued birth certificates already, illegal Muslim Bangladeshi/Rohingya immigrants into India. In majority of cases only photographs were provided as supporting documents,” BJP leader Kirit Somaiyya has said. In Akola city 4849 (3953), 1899 (896) in Akot, 468 (1164) in Balapur, 1070 (787) in Murtijapur, 1262 (938) in Telhara, 3978 (1576) in Patur and 1319 (959) in Barshitakli already secured government endorsed birth certificates while similar number (in brackets) were pending physical delivery when the scam came to light. Senior BJP leader Mahendra Jain says, “This is organized crime with 99% applicants found to be foreign nationals. Government officials found complicit in crime must be booked under the provisions of terrorism laws applicable in India.” Suspensions of concerned officials complicit in issuance of certificates to even fictitious entities as Indian citizens and its terror implications is still being assessed. Ironically, the Special Investigation Team ( SIT) formed to tackle the illegal Bangladeshi immigrants in Maharashtra years ago has not met a single time since its inception or. at least rarely.

TRENDS & VIEWS

Editor’s Note: Short Post Is Here To Stay…

Time, they say, flies—and how true that is. Here we are celebrating our 5th Anniversary. Five years ago, when Covid-19 was wreaking havoc across the globe, I took a leap of faith and launched Short Post, India’s first website for Authentic Gossip. That was on January 31, 2021. I was convinced there was a clear gap in the market for gossip that was credible, sharp, and impactful—especially if told in just 250 words.

In this, I was fortunate. Scores of senior editors across diverse verticals bought into the idea and, in the process, gave wings to my dream. Quite honestly, Short Post could not have crossed these milestones without the unflinching support of its contributing editors. Like all start-ups, we have seen our share of ups and downs, but these editors have stood by us like a rock. I take this opportunity to doff my hat to them.

Thanks to their commitment, we have published close to 5,000 stories spanning politics, business, entertainment, and sports. I say this with pride: we made our mark as people who matter read us. “Small packs, big impact” truly captures the essence of Short Post.

We all know that Covid-19 has reset businesses worldwide, and the media sector is no exception. In the post-Covid era, investors have become more cautious and selective—and advertisers too. To compound matters, the entry of AI has disrupted the media landscape in equal measure. So far, we have managed to hold our ground, hopeful that some angel investors will take a shine to us.

What gives me confidence is this: AI cannot smell news—especially the gossipy kind. In other words, AI cannot churn out Short Post-type stories, no matter the prompt. That puts us in a safe zone. As someone rightly said, “AI is a co-pilot, not a pilot.”